Windows file explorer is the most used tool in Windows OS. Microsoft releases file Explorer with the release of Windows 95. It comes with a GUI – a graphical user interface that allows users to access and manage files and folders. There are many different ways to access file explorer in Windows OS. Mostly you can use just the Windows button + E command to open file explorer.
Now, after installing a new Windows update, many Windows 10 users reported that their file explorer is not responding when they click on it from Taskbar.
You have to fix the issue because file explorer is very important. The explorer.exe process is under the user shell. Here in this guide, we are sharing 3 ways to restart the explorer.exe process in Windows 10.
Fix Windows File Explorer Not Responding Issue
Below are 3 working solutions that can solve Windows File Explorer problems in Windows laptops and PCs.
Method 1: Change display settings
The first method is to change the display settings. Due to wrong display settings, your file explorer may stop working.
1) Open the start menu > Settings > and then click on System.
2) On Display settings, change the size of your text to 100%, 125%, 200%, etc. But do not set to 175%. If it sets to 175%, you may face this issue.
Method 2: Restart in task manager
If you see this file explorer not responding error message then restart the explorer.exe service in Windows. You can use the task manager to restart the explorer.exe process.
1) Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager in Windows 10.
2) Find the Windows Explorer process and then right-click on it.
3) Choose the End task. Now go to File > and then choose Run new task.
4) Type explorer.exe in the box and then hit Enter.
This will restart the explorer service in Windows 10.
Recommended: Fix Windows 10 Restarts After Shutdown
Method 3: Check for possible faulty programs
Sometimes due to faulty software or apps, you will face this issue. So try to remove recently installed software from your system and then try again. See if you are still facing Windows explorer not responding error or not.
These methods are working fine to fix the Windows file explorer issue in Windows 10,8 and 7. If you are still facing this issue then you can use the system restore option or reinstall Windows OS.
Follow more guides:
- How to Fix Windows 10 Start Menu Not Working
- Fix Windows Update Error 0x80070057
- Fix Windows Store Cache May be Damaged Error