Perfect spelling is very important whether you are drafting an important document or working on a school assignment. Microsoft Word is the best Word processor app that allows you to switch formats, customize headings, and automatically check for spelling mistakes. Microsoft Word spell check feature is very useful. MS Word spell checker works as a proofreader. It checks every single word for spelling and grammar errors but sometimes it stopped working. Many users have reported that the spelling and grammar-checking tool is not working in MS Word. Due to this problem, you may have to face embarrassing mistakes.
Reasons for Word Spell Check Not Working
There are many possible reasons for this issue, like the wrong language setting, wrong proofing setting, wrong Word template, and 3rd party Word addons. Due to Microsoft registry issues, you can face this problem. In most of the cases, the issue is with proofing language and 3rd party Word addon. Whatever the reason is, you can fix this issue.
How Solve Spell Check Not Working Issue in Word
Follow these simple troubleshooting steps to fix the spell checking feature in MS word.
TIP: These solutions are for Microsoft Office 365, Word 2019, 2016, 2010.
Solution 1: Verify Language Setting in Word
1. First, open that document with which you are facing spell check not working issue.
2. Select all texts with Ctrl + A keys.
3. Now click on the review tab from the upper menu and then click on the language option and then finally click on set proofing language.
4. Make sure that you have selected the correct language.
5. Also, check if the “Do not check spelling or grammar” option is unchecked. Once done, click ok.
6. Close and then reopen your Word file. Check if the Word is checking your spelling or not.
Solution 2: Check Your Proofing Exception Options
1. Click on the review tab in word > then click on language.
2. Select a language preference setting.
3. A new window will open called “Word options.”
4. Select the “Proofing” option from the left pane.
5. Scroll down and find an option called “Exceptions for.”
6. Here check that if “Hide spelling errors in this document only” is enabled or not. Uncheck the option if it is checked.
7. Again save settings and then reopen your document. Now check spell check is working or not.
Solution 3: Open Word in Safe Mode
Sometimes due to a 3rd party Word addon, spell-check stopped working. To fix this issue, start MS Word in safe mode.
To open Microsoft Word in safe mode, follow these steps:
1. Open the RUN command box with Win + R.
2. Now type “winword /safe” command and press Enter.
This command will open a Word in safe mode.
3. Now press Ctrl + N to open a new black document. Now check if spell check is working here or not.
If spell check is working fine in safe mode then the issue is with your add-on. Disable 3rd party addon to fix the issue.
If you are using multiple add-ons then try disabling one by one and checking spell check at the same time, until you find the culprit. Once you find it, simply remove that add-on from Word.
BONUS: If Word doesn’t open in safe mode, or spell check is still not working, simply reinstall Word. Backup your all data before reinstalling Word.
Solution 4: Rename Word Default Template
Many times the issue is with the Word default template called normal.dotm. Renaming the default Word template can fix the spell check problem in the Word. So try this method if you are still facing the issue.
Share your feedback about this article.