Modern Warfare(Call of Duty) is a well-known first-person shooter(FPS) video game created by Infinity Ward in 2019. Recently, some of the players of Call of Duty Modern Warfare are facing frustrating random crashes while playing their favourite battles. Modern Warfare errors include Fatal Error: Dev Error 6178 or sometimes it displays no error codes. Even the single-player mode in Modern Warfare also faces these crashes. So before you get tired of the crashes of the Call of Duty Modern Warfare, you can try some Modern Warfare crash fixes shown in this article.
- Most probable reasons for Modern Warfare crash
- How you can solve Modern Warfare Crashing on PC Issue
- 1) Update the drivers of your device
- For updating the graphics driver manually
- 2) Shut down, close or hibernate all the apps running in the background
- 3) Repair your game files after scanning
- 4) If enabled, stop overclocking
- 5) Change texture quality to normal or high
- 6) Disable in-game overlay of Discord
- 7) Change Priority From Task Manager
Most probable reasons for Modern Warfare crash
Majority of Modern Warfare crashes occur due to hardware issues, so make sure your hardware is compatible and not outdated to work with Modern Warfare. Make sure your graphics settings for Modern Ware are well optimized.
Some more causes for Modern Warfare crashes:
1. Outdated or Incompatible Audio and Video Drivers
2. Corrupt or defective game files
3. Conflicting Software
4. Texture Quality
5. Overlay In-game
How you can solve Modern Warfare Crashing on PC Issue
Below are working solutions for overcoming Modern Warfare issue. Read them all and them try them.
1) Update the drivers of your device
Outdated and incompatible graphics or audio/video drivers are the most common reasons for any game, including Modern Warfare, to crash. So before performing any Modern Warfare troubleshooting steps, consider updating your graphics (video/audio) drivers.
For updating the graphics driver manually
Download the compatible and latest stable drivers from the official graphics manufacturer’s website.
For NVIDIA users: NVIDIA Graphics Driver Download Link
For AMD users: AMD Graphics Driver Download Link
After downloading NVIDIA, AMD or other graphics drivers, open the downloaded directory or folder and install the drivers from their setup file or installer. The manual process of driver updating can be a tedious and time-consuming task because you have to find your device model and then search for its compatible drivers. Regular Update to the manually downloaded graphics card can become a headache; therefore, you might consider the below option.
For updating the graphics driver automatically
You can try updating the drivers automatically by utilizing some third-party tools available on the internet.
1) Download any driver updating utility tool of your choice from the internet and install it on your device.
2) Run the driver updating tool and scan your device for any missing or corrupted drivers.
3) Update the required drivers or download them automatically just by one click by using the tool.
4) You can also update all your defective or missing drivers only by clicking on Update all.
5) Restart your device and observe if Modern Warfare is giving any issues or not.
Also Read: Fix Steam Pending Transaction Error
2) Shut down, close or hibernate all the apps running in the background
Terminate all the applications or software running in the background. Mostly the over-protective apps like antivirus and antimalware tools can cause Modern Warfare to crash. So terminate those applications and disable them from running at the startup.
3) Repair your game files after scanning
Sometimes, game files get corrupted due to some file i/o error or malicious files, which lead to the crashing of many games including Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
If you are wondering How do you repair Modern Warfare on the PC? Follow on.
For Modern Warfare on Steam, head over to the game library and open properties of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare by right-clicking on it. Now from the Local Files tab, select the Verify Integrity of Game Files option.
For Blizzard Battle.net users, find the Modern Warfare and click on Options -> Scan and Repair.
4) If enabled, stop overclocking
If you have overclocked your CPU to improve the gaming performance, it may have backfired and made Modern Warfare unstable instead. If the crashes in Modern Warfare are appearing just after overclocking your GPU, try lowering the overclocking the amount or set it to the default value.
5) Change texture quality to normal or high
Sometimes low texture and graphics quality can cause Call of Duty Modern Warfare to crash with displaying some error code like Dev Error 6178. Many Modern Warfare users have claimed the crash gets resolved after changing the texture resolution to High or Normal setting according to the device specifications.
To set the Texture quality to the optimum level:
1. Head on to Options -> Game Settings -> Graphics after opening the Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
2. Change the Texture Resolution to Normal or High under the Details & Texture tab.
3. Restart Modern Warfare game and check if the problem persists or not.
6) Disable in-game overlay of Discord
Some software or applications like Discord with overlay feature can cause Modern Warfare to terminate irregularly. So it is better to disable the in-game overlay which may be the culprit for any game to the crash including Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
1. Open Discord Settings.
2. Choose the Overlay tab from the left side.
3. Disable in-game overlay by toggling off the option called Enable in-game overlay.
7) Change Priority From Task Manager
Setting the high Priority for Call of Duty Modern Warfare from the task manager can eliminate the chances of crashes drastically.
1. Open Task Manager either by pressing the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys simultaneously or by right-clicking the Windows taskbar.
2. Find the process called Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.exe and right-click on it.
3. Opt for Priority> High.
4. Grant permission to change the Priority of Modern Warfare.
If Modern Warfare still crashes after all these steps, try reinstalling it.
We hope this article solved your queries related to Modern Warfare crash on startup. If you need more any help then comment below.