Microsoft has developed WMA (Windows Media Audio) format as a propriety format that supports Windows’s inbuilt media player, Windows Media Player. Many media players don’t support the WMA format, so the users need o to convert the WMA format to some other format that these media players support.
A Guide to Convert WMA files to MP3 For Free
In most cases, WMA files mostly need to convert into mp3 format because it’s a widely used format for audio files. Even the Windows Media Player supports mp3 format along with WMA format. Having your audio files in mp3 format helps to try out new audio applications that can play mp3 files without any hassle. For those who regularly download and listen to music and songs, this unsupported WMA file format troubles them the most, and they need to convert their WMA files to mp3 format.
Solution 1: Converting WMA files to MP3 Using VLC Player
VLC multimedia player is an open-source and free media player that covers many file formats and can convert audio formats. VLC is a cross-platform (Windows OS, Linux, iOS, Android, macOS) and free media player. Although free, VLC is a quite capable multimedia player.
1. Download and install VLC media player either from their official website or from any third-party website.
Note: Official website is recommended. Also, choose the correct windows architecture 64-bit or 32-bit.
2. Open the VLC player, select the Media menu option, and then choose the Convert/Save option.
3. Click on the Add button with the Plus symbol to add the files you want to convert.
4. Search for the files or a file to convert, then click on the Open button.
5. Choose Convert/Save, which will open the next window.
6. Choose Audio – MP3 from the Profile drop-down list and then click on the Browse button to select the converted files’ destination folder.
7. In the Save as a type of the chosen file, select the mp3 option.
8. To get more control over the file conversion and encoding, click on the wrench button.
9. After clicking on the wrench button, you will see a window menu with some more advanced features. For example, the Audio Codec tab allows users to change things like sample rate, channels, and bitrate.
10. To start the WMA to mp3 conversion process, click on the Start button.
Depending on your WMA file size and the bitrate you chose, it might take some time to fully convert your WMA to mp3. When the WMA to mp3 conversion is done, you will find your converted mp3 file in the destination folder you chose earlier.
Solution 2: Using Free Online Conversion Tools
There are plenty of audio formats converting tools available online which let you convert your files for free. Zamzar is one such tool and is popular because of its feature of converting 10 files simultaneously and not keeping the file on their server for more than 24 hours.
1. Visit Zamzar’s website.
2. Head over to the files you want to convert after clicking on the “Choose Files” button. You may also like to drag and drop your audio files to Zamzar’s website for converting to different formats.
3. as the output file type from the drop-down list.
4. Provide your email id to receive the converted mp3 files from Zamzar’s website. Then click on the convert button.
Solution 3: Convertio
Convertio is an awesome online tool to convert WMA files to mp3 format. You can provide source files from various places like local storage, dropbox, google drive, and even URLs. It also provides advanced features for setting variable bitrates, modify audio channels and frequency.
Convertio provides free WMA to mp3 conversion under the 100 MB range. For more than 100 MB files, you need to sign up for their premium monthly and yearly plans. Convertio also provides tight security and privacy for your WMA or mp3 files that you upload on their website.
Solution 4: Media.io
The media.io is a free WMA to mp3 converter website, which is also quite intuitive and easy to follow. You just need to upload a WMA file, then click on the Convert button on the media.io site, and then simply hit on the Download button to finally download your converted mp3 file, which is ready to use.
One noticeable thing about the media.io website is that it provides lossless conversion between WMA and mp3 files so that the media quality remains unchanged.
Solution 5: Cloudconvert
The cloudconvert is also a decent website to convert WMA files into mp3. The cloudconvert website also supports other audio-type conversions like WAV, WMV, etc. The cloudconvert site also provides some advanced features like audio trimming, changing audio codec, bitrate, Qscale, etc. It provides high-quality audio format conversions with the utmost data security. It also has some paid powerful APIs which you might want to subscribe to for more advanced functionalities.
As you can see, you can convert WMA format audio files to mp3 formats either by some multimedia player or by utilizing some online audio format converters. It’s up to the WMA users how they want to convert their WMA files to mp3 ones.
Note that mp3 is the best format for audio files but many devices are using WMA format. So you have to convert it. It is completely free to convert your WMA files.
We have shared 5 working solutions to convert WMA files to mp3. If you are facing any problem while following any step then comment below.
We hope this article about converting the WMA files to mp3 formats has solved all your queries regarding the topic.